Applications – Visa

What is the application process for applying to the UK student visa from India? What are the documents required to apply for the UK student visa from India? How long does it take to get a UK student Visa? Do you know the documents that are required to apply for the UK student visa? I have prepared a go-to list of the documents that you need. You can find that list here and print it for your reference. Here, we will talk about each of the documents in detail.

CAS Number

This is the most crucial document when applying for the UK student visa from India (What is a CAS number?). The one thing that you will need to be careful about here is your personal information. Make sure that the information that you have supplied to your university in your application is up-to-date and correct. If there are any changes to the personal information, inform the university as soon as possible. Check it, re-check it, double-check it, and cross-check it a hundred times. This is because a mistake here could result in your visa getting rejected.

You will have to submit a printed version of your CAS. When you login to the university portal where you will find your CAS, you will see the option to download or print it. Do either and get the printed copy ready. I would advise you to get multiple copies of this document so that you have one for the visa and the other you can keep for reference.

What information do I need to verify on the CAS?

  1. Your personal details: Name, DoB, address, email, mobile number etc.
  2. Acknowledgement of your deposit and fee payment (for UGs and PhDs, this fees would only be for the first year)
  3. Your course (check the course code and name) and the university
  4. Passport number
  5. Course start date
  6. Method of assessment of English (this is just an official statement by the university that they have confirmed that you can communicate in English)
  7. Your CAS number (make sure its there)
  8. Sponsor’s Reference Number (make sure its there)

Tuberculosis Certificate

You will have to get yourself TB-certified before you can apply for the visa. Moreover, you are not allowed to get yourself tested at any clinic. There are Home Office of the UK-approved clinics where you can get this test done. You can find a list of those clinics here.

When you actually go the clinic, inform the doctor or your attendant why you are taking the test as they will give you a particular form that you will have to use for your visa application.

Immigration Health Surcharge

This is a payment for the medical services that you are going to be using while in the UK. For anyone who is visiting the UK for more than 6 months, you will have to make this payment. You can do that here. Once you have made the payment, you will receive an acknowledgement of the same on the email that you supply. You will need to print off that acknowledgement email and attach it amongst the other documents that you are going to supply for your visa application. Additionally, you will get an IHS reference number which you will have to enter while you will be initiating your visa application online.

All your Academic Documents

  1. Class 10th Marksheet + certificate (if you have one)
  2. Class 12th Marksheet + certificate (if you have one)
  3. UG Degree certificate/Provisional Certificate (if you’re applying for Master’s)
  4. PG Degree certificate (if you are applying for PhD)
  5. Character Certificate
  6. Medium of Instruction Certificate

Ensure that you have all your academic documents, including your degree/provisional certificates and your class 10th and 12th mark-sheets ready. Ensure that all these documents are in English, and where they are not in English ensure that you have supplied a certified translation along with the originals. Medium of Instruction Certificate is for those students who have used that document to prove their English Language ability. It is a document that states that the medium of instruction for their previous academic qualification was English. If your university has taken that certificate as proof that you can communicate in English, and if they have not asked you to give your IELTS test results, then you must supply this document for the visa application.

Your Birth Certificate

Ensure that you attach a certified translation of your birth certificate if your original is not in English.

IELTS Results

Supply the original IELTS marksheet.


It goes without saying that this has to be original as well.

Academic Reference Letters

All of your academic reference letters should be supplied. Ensure that those letters are on the official letterhead of your university and contain the official signature of your principal along with your university/college’s official stamp. They must include the contact details of your professor as well (email is a must).

Proof of Finances

This is a crucial group of documents when applying for the UK student visa from India. Remember that this section is for people who are either getting sponsored by an individual or an organisation or have taken a loan from a bank. I am yet to include the sections for people who are have attained a scholarship.

Sponsorship Letter

This will be a letter of sponsorship that will have to be signed by your parents/guardian. This is for students whose parents have taken the education loan on their name and are then using those finances to sponsor their child. Hence if the education loan is in your parents’ name, then they will need to provide a sponsorship letter on a document that is known as an affidavit stamped by a legal notary.

For the letter itself, it should have the following content:

You must provide us (UK Government) with your financial sponsor’s unconditional consent in writing. This must confirm that your sponsor has no objection to you continuing your studies in the UK. If your financial sponsor does not give consent, we will refuse the application.


Bank Statements

These are the account statements that you need to request from your bank. They should clearly reflect that you have the required amount of funds in your bank for more than 31 days before your visa application. These need to be official bank statements, hence your passbook entries will not work. Ensure that the closing balance of your account should be equal the specified amount for at-least (if not more) 31 days before your visa application.

For instance, you need to show INR 30,00,000 in your account(s). If you apply for the visa on 01/09, then you must have this amount in your bank from at-least 30/07. The loan amount in my case was disbursed into two accounts, one in my name and one in my mother’s name. Hence, when had two bank statements and two bank letters.

Bank Letter

Although you might not be asked for this, it is highly recommended that you include it. It is simply an official document by the bank that states that you have had an account with them for however long you have had an account. It also includes the balance in your account on the date it is printed. This letter is printed on the official letterhead of the bank and includes the official stamp along with the official signature of the Bank Manager.

Regardless of whether your parents are wholly sponsoring your education or you are taking a loan, it is highly advised that you include this letter.

Loan Letter

If it so happens that your bank does not transfer the funds directly to your account for you to access, then you must obtain a loan letter from the bank. Again, this will have to be an official letter on the bank’s letterhead stating that the bank is offering you the loan for the specified amount.

Consent Letter by Parent/Guardian

If you are younger than sweet 16, then you will be required to submit a consent letter by your parents where they state that they are allowing you to study in the UK. This is what that letter of consent must contain:

If you are required to provide parental consent, you must provide a letter from your parent(s) or legal guardian(s) confirming all of the following:

• the relationship between your parent(s) or legal guardian and you;

• that your parent(s) or legal guardian have given their consent to your application;

• that your parent(s) or legal guardian agrees to your living arrangements in the UK;

• that your parent(s) or legal guardian agrees to the arrangements made for your travel to and reception in the UK (for people applying from outside the UK only);

The letter must confirm if your parent(s) or legal guardian have legal custody or sole responsibility for you. If they have sole custody, they must sign the letter. If they do not, the letter must confirm that each parent or legal guardian agrees to the contents of the letter and it must be signed by each parent or legal guardian.


VAF (Visa Application Form)

When you initiate your visa application for the UK student visa from India, you are required to pay a visa fees of about INR 30,000. The acknowledgement receipt of the same needs to be attached. You will get that acknowledgement on your email, along with a unique reference number. All of this information will be in the email. This is what you will have to include.

Accommodation Booking Reference + Contract

For this too, you must have received a booking acknowledgement from your accommodation. You will need to include the same.

Additionally, you will also be required to include the Contract Schedule for your accommodation. This will essentially be a contract between you and the accommodation for the length of your desired stay. Most likely the accommodation is going to issue you a unique student ID number. Ensure that on all the accommodation documents that you submit, this number is still there.

Your Unconditional Offer Letter

Although you don’t need to attach this as the CAS document itself is the proof that you have a confirmed offer from the university. But I did it just for the sake of it. You can choose to not attach it, as it would not make a difference.

Booking the Flight

You don’t need to show your flight bookings for your visa application. Once you apply for the visa, you do not need to do anything but wait for it to arrive. Once you do receive it, you can book your flight. If, however, it so happens that you have a time constraint, and you hardly have weeks left before your course starts and you still haven’t received the visa, then it would just be a good idea to book the flight.